Posted on May 21, 2026
Port of Long Beach (POLB) on May 15 unveiled a Cyber Defense Operations Center that it described as “dedicated to defending one of America’s busiest seaports against cyberattacks that could disrupt global goods movement.” At the same time, it reported April cargo data, noting that “global market pressures and rising fuel costs continue to reshape the supply chain and broader economy.”
According to the Port, its new Center provides “around-the-clock cybersecurity monitoring and defense,” as well as “the highest level of resiliency to the many data networks that are critical to Port operations.” On average, the Port said it blocks or stops an attempted cyberattack every three seconds.
The facility also enables the Port to “double the number of on-site staff focused on safeguarding the Port’s digital supply chain and further leverage its in-house and contracted resources.”
Partnerships with the U.S. Coast Guard, California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, and many other federal, state, and local agencies also enhance cybersecurity, the Port said.
“Supply chain security is key to supply chain resilience, and with data and digital infrastructure being an ever-increasing part of maritime trade, effective cybersecurity is more important than ever to the global supply chain,” said POLB CEO Dr. Noel Hacegaba, who noted that $300 billion worth of annual trade moves at the San Pedro Bay ports complex.
Meanwhile, the Port also reported its third-best April on record, moving almost 818,000 TEUs (Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units) last month. Overall cargo volumes dipped 5.7% from April 2025, which was Long Beach’s busiest April in history. Dockworkers and terminal operators handled nearly 390,000 TEUs in imports last month, down 7.1% from April 2025, while exports rose 26.7% to nearly 119,000 TEUs compared with April 2025. Empties fell 12.6% to 309,000 TEUs.
In comparison, in March 2026 the port handled 774,935 TEUs, 5.2% fewer containers than at the same point last year. Imports for March declined 1.6% to 374,412 TEUs, while exports showed a 0.5% uptick to 104,554 TEUs when compared with the same month last year. Empty containers moving through the Port dropped 11.1% to 295,970 TEUs.
Through the first quarter of 2026, POLB processed 2,390,225 TEUs, “more than any seaport in the nation,” the port said last month. Cargo volumes, however, were down 5.7% from first-quarter 2025, the Port’s record year.
For complete POLB cargo statistics, click here.
The ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles in 2025 extended their agreement with Anacostia Rail Holdings’ Pacific Harbor Line to provide railroad operating and maintenance services within the San Pedro Bay ports complex. Union Pacific and BNSF move cargo into and out of the complex.