Posted on November 14, 2022
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Galveston District and its partner the Orange County Drainage District, will be hosting a virtual public information session for the Sabine Pass to Galveston Bay Orange County Project, Thursday, November 17, 2022.
The online session will include an overview of the S2G Program and the status of the Orange County Project specifically, including details on construction contract status and the project’s path forward. A question-and-answer session with the project delivery team will immediately follow the project status update.
Date and time:
Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. CST
The online WebEx session can be accessed via the project website at: https://www.swg.usace.army.mil/S2G/OrangeCounty.
The Orange County Project is one of three projects included in the S2G Program. The Orange County Project focuses on improvements to the existing Hurricane Flood Protection Project (HFPP) that was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1962 and protects the area from coastal storm surge events from the Gulf of Mexico.
To provide an increased level of protection over the next 50 years for the area, the Orange County Project will add:
• Approximately 15 miles of new earthen levees
• Approximately 10 miles of new concrete floodwalls
• Approximately 50 gravity drainage structures and multiple new pump stations, providing interior drainage for areas behind the levee/floodwall
• Approximately 30 closure structures located at road and railroad crossings
• Two navigable sector gates, with adjacent vertical lift gates, at Adams and Cow Bayous, and
• Restoration of approximately 450 acres of coastal marsh and 560 acres of forested wetlands, as mitigation for the project’s unavoidable environmental impacts
Visit the project’s StoryMap for additional information (https://www.swg.usace.army.mil/S2G/Orange County/ and click on “Sabine Pass to Galveston Bay Program”), and/or submit any inquiries by email or phone. The public may also submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.