Posted on May 18, 2026
The Department of the Environment has confirmed that there is cause for concern over the ongoing dredging activities near the Placencia Lagoon, as public pressure continues to mount from residents and stakeholders demanding answers about the project and its environmental impact. Chief Environmental Officer Anthony Mai confirmed that the department has already conducted a preliminary assessment of the area following widespread complaints from residents, tour guides, and marine operators who have been raising alarms over the dredging works on social media and through the media. As Love News first reported on May 12, concerns have been growing over what residents describe as unchecked and haphazard dredging along sections of the lagoon and coastline, with questions being raised over whether the proper environmental clearances and permits were obtained before the works began. Tour guide Harry Neal had warned earlier this week that the dredging could have serious consequences for marine ecosystems, including impacts on dolphins, manatees, juvenile fish habitats, and water quality due to increased turbidity and sediment displacement. Mai has since acknowledged that the concerns being raised by the community are legitimate and said the department’s initial findings indicate that further investigation is necessary.
Mai explained that the Department of the Environment is now working alongside other relevant agencies to determine the full scope of the dredging operation, including whether all approvals were properly secured and whether environmental safeguards were put in place. He says the department intends to continue monitoring the situation closely while determining what enforcement or corrective measures may be required moving forward.