It's on us. Share your news here.

The NCFC administration’s first year: Uneven progress on beach erosion

Posted on May 23, 2026

One year into its term, the NCFC government has had some progress on beach erosion initiatives and approvals along southern Seven Mile Beach, though several broader coastal management commitments remain unfulfilled and questions persist over where much of the funding will come from.

As erosion has intensified over the past six years, with little prospect of natural recovery, economic studies have highlighted Seven Mile Beach’s billion-dollar importance to Cayman’s tourism economy.

In its 2026-2028 Strategic Policy Statement, government committed to “implement sustainable environmental initiatives to address issues such as beach erosion and climate change” and outlined plans for a National Beach Resilience Plan focused on coastal protection and beach replenishment through public-private partnerships.

Since then, Cabinet and government agencies, in conjunction with a private sector entity, have advanced the first beach-restoration project on Seven Mile Beach at one hotel site, approved coastal works permits, begun discussions around long-term financing mechanisms, issued a tender for Kaibo public beach restoration works and introduced tighter rules around coastal setbacks intended to protect future restoration efforts.

Still, the broader national replenishment strategy repeatedly referenced by officials has yet to fully materialise. No formal timeline has been announced for a wider Seven Mile Beach restoration project, and no direct funding was allocated in the 2026 or 2027 budgets, though government has indicated it hopes a private-sector consortium could ultimately finance the work.

The Grand Cayman Marriott Resort has become the centrepiece of government’s current response.

Marriott project takes the lead in beach erosion efforts

Located toward the southern end of Seven Mile Beach, the Marriott property, which lost the sandy beachfront that once fronted the hotel, was granted permission to restore its shoreline through a project that officials see as a potential model for wider restoration efforts.

Cabinet approved the proposal in August, allowing up to 8,000 cubic yards of sand to be placed along the shoreline in front of the hotel and two neighbouring properties. The project also includes two 135-foot low-profile rock groynes intended to help retain sand during future storms.

The Marriott project also includes relocating more than 230 reef balls and installing rock scour protection at the base of an existing seawall, which will be concealed beneath the replenished sand.

In February 2026, government approved a permit-fee waiver for the project valued at nearly $1 million. Marriott general manager Hermes Cuello said the waiver helped make the project financially manageable and paved the way for work to begin.

Environmental officials have consistently maintained that a coordinated regional replenishment project remains the preferred long-term solution.

Long-term funding questions

Beyond the Marriott initiative, government has begun exploring long-term funding models for wider replenishment efforts.

Sustainability Minister Katherine Ebanks-Wilks said in November that government hoped affected landowners would help finance restoration through a private-sector foundation company being established to lead the effort. Government’s role, she said, would initially focus on oversight and approvals.

Cabinet later confirmed it had been presented with a proposal by some private landowners to replenish and maintain sand along southern Seven Mile Beach through a future coastal works permit application.

However, there is no firm indication as to what that could look like or when works will start beyond the Marriott project.

Government said the approach could reduce the financial burden on the public purse while speeding up procurement and sharing risk between government and private owners.

Officials have also acknowledged that replenishment may need to continue indefinitely as climate change, sea-level rise and coastal development continue reshaping Cayman’s coastline.

In March 2026, Ebanks-Wilks told Parliament government was considering a tourism or departure tax to help fund future beach-renourishment and maintenance projects.

Coastal setbacks

Government has also moved to tighten coastal setback rules as a proactive policy response.

Setbacks – the minimum distance buildings must be placed from the coastline – have become increasingly contentious as erosion accelerates and development pressure intensifies along the waterfront. Currently, setback lines are assessed on a property-by-property basis using surveys of the mean high-water mark.

In May, Cabinet removed the Central Planning Authority’s discretion to vary setbacks, aiming to prevent new development from undermining future beach-restoration efforts.

The move comes as concerns grow that beach replenishment efforts could be undermined if coastal landowners are later allowed to build closer to newly restored shoreline.

Government says it’s also drafting separate regulations aimed at standardising how setback lines are measured.

Source

It's on us. Share your news here.
Submit Your News Today

Join Our
Newsletter
Click to Subscribe