Posted on November 7, 2022
COP27 event to convene UN Organizations, governments, seafarers’ unions and shipowners for launch of a position paper containing a 10-point action plan to achieve a Just Transition for seafarers, both based on fresh research that estimates the number of seafarers who will require training under three carbon reduction scenarios.
The world is facing a climate emergency. Responsible for transporting 90% of global trade and supplying the world with food, fuel, medicines and goods, the global shipping industry accounts for 3% of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. The world’s 1.89 million seafarers are key for shipping to shift away from conventional fuels and transition towards alternative low- and zero-carbon fuels and technologies.
The Maritime Just Transition Task Force was formed to ensure that shipping’s response to the climate emergency puts seafarers and communities at the heart of the solution. brings together seafarers’ unions, shipowners, government ministers and leading NGOs to mark the launch of a Position Paper which puts forward a 10-point action plan to achieve a Just Transition for seafarers. The action plan is in response to new research by consultancy DNV, also to be unveiled at the event.
Speakers at the event (Many available for interviews):
- Ms. Sue Biniaz, Deputy US Special Climate Envoy, Government of the United States
- Mr. Stephen Cotton, General Secretary, International Transport Workers’ Federation
- Mr. Kitack Lim, Secretary General, International Maritime Organization
- Ms. Maria Antonia Yulo Loyzaga, Secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Government of the Philippines
- Ms Pauliina Murphy, Director, World Benchmarking Alliance
- Ms. Sanda Ojiambo, Assistant Secretary-General; CEO and Executive Director, United Nations Global Compact
- Mr. Guy Platten, Secretary General, International Chamber of Shipping
WHO: Maritime value chain stakeholders, governments, union members and media representatives
WHAT: Event to launch Maritime Just Transition Task Force position paper, action plan and new DNV report
WHEN: 9 November, 2022, 10:00-11:00 AM Egyptian time (event commencing 08:00 GMT; 13:30 IST; 17:00 PHST)
WHERE (in person): The COP27 Just Transition Pavilion, located in the Blue Zone of the Sharm El Sheikh International Convention Centre (SHICC). P09, specifically Area B – Hall 4 (delegation pavilion 2)
ONLINE (livestream): https://live.ilo.org/events/cop27-events-just-transition-pavilion-2022-11