Posted on October 9, 2023
Nearly $50 million of federal funding will go into replacing sand on the beaches of Brevard County after being hit by Hurricane Ian, then Nicole.
The Army Corps of Engineers announced that they will focus on an 11.5-mile stretch of beach from Patrick Space Force Base down south to Melbourne Beach.
“I’m sure all the immediate residents are looking forward to getting the repair work done to where families can enjoy it a little better,” said Brevard neighbor Rodney Hern.
The first phase of beach replenishment is set to start in late November. That will continue through April 2024 and then pause, so there’s no disruption or damage to the critical sea turtle nesting along the Brevard shoreline. Phase two will resume from November 2024 through April 2025.
1.25 million cubic years of sand will be replenished as heavy wind and strong surf pounded the Brevard coast during Hurricanes Ian and Nicole last year.
“Coastal erosion is increased as sea levels start to rise. You add the storm surge on top of those waves can penetrate further up the beach and attack the dunes,” said Robert Weaver of Florida Tech.
The erosion on the beach and the shoreline below sea level was severe, and stronger rip currents were a result.
The $47.6 million contract for the work was awarded to a California company by the Army Corps of Engineers.
“I think it’s good for the economy and everyone involved in living down here,” added Hern.
The sand will be dredged from a site eight nautical miles offshore from Port Canaveral. The project is expected to be wrapped up by April 2025.