Posted on April 2, 2025
Canal & River Trust has spent around £500,000 on the clean-up operation
Dredging has begun in a stretch of Black Country waterway following a ‘disastrous’ chemical spill.
An area of Walsall Canal was affected when 4,000 litres of contaminant, including highly toxic sodium cyanide and zinc cyanide, leaked into the water in August 2024.
Ever since, a one-mile section of canal in Pleck has been closed to boats but the towpath has since reopened.
The Canal & River Trust has spent around £500,000 so far on the clean-up operation.
The charity says that dredging the water to remove contaminated silt from the canal is a “significant milestone.”
A spokesperson said: “A major pollution incident was declared at the time and, while the towpath has since reopened, the canal has remained closed to boats and devoid of wildlife.
“The company identified as the source of the pollution is under investigation by the Environment Agency.”
The dredging, described as a crucial step in the canal’s ecological recovery, is expected to take several weeks.
After it is completed, the sediment and water will be tested once again and the results will determine if further steps are needed and when the canal can reopen.
Henriette Breukelaar, regional director at Canal & River Trust, said: “We’re delighted that dredging of the Walsall Canal starts this week; this is a major milestone in the canal’s recovery.
“The awful spillage of cyanide into the community’s wonderful and historic canal has left this section ecologically devastated, wiping out wildlife, including the microorganisms that form the foundation of the canal’s ecosystem.
“So far, we have spent around half a million pounds of charitable funds, covering costs such as staff time, dam installation, materials, contractors, and lab testing.
“This is a huge resource that has been diverted from other essential activity to keep the region’s canals open and safe.
“We are grateful for the support of our partners and the generosity of the public, particularly those who contributed to the Crowdfunder, which raised £25,000.
“This will help ensure the canal remains a vital part of the local community and, hopefully soon, can fully reopen.
“We understand the closure has been frustrating for boaters and the local community, and we hope the dredging will move us closer to reopening the canal.
“We will continue to provide updates. Our priority remains the safety and restoration of this important waterway, and we appreciate everyone’s patience while we carry out this critical work.”