Posted on February 16, 2026
The section of coastline from the Point to the Cherry Grove Pier will still receive dune restoration despite being excluded from a federally funded beach renourishment project, according to the city of North Myrtle Beach. The city of North Myrtle Beach will fund its own project: the Tidewater Spoils Basin Restoration. The city’s engineering consultant estimates the project to cost $1.5 million, Jessie said.
The project will use beach-compatible sand from the basin to repair the sand dunes in Cherry Grove, said Lauren Jessie, spokesperson for the City of North Myrtle Beach. If additional sand is available after the dune work is completed, it will be placed in areas not included in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ renourishment. Work is anticipated to run from mid-March to July 2026, with the dune restoration component expected to be done by May 1, barring unforeseen circumstances or significant weather events, Jessie said.
The Cherry Grove area has not been included in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ renourishment project since the initial project began in 1998, and has been excluded from future renourishments following natural shifts in the beach profile, which are common in inlet areas, Corps spokesperson Dylan Burnell told The Sun.
The Corps’ primary goal for beach renourishment projects is to protect life and infrastructure behind the dunes from coastal storms, and Cherry Grove’s dunes were already providing adequate protection, Burnell said. North Myrtle Beach is responsible for addressing “hot spot” areas.
Arcadian Shores, which was also previously left out of the renourishment project, will be added to the Corps’ schedule for renourishment but is not included in the federal grant.