Posted April 16, 2020
By Staff Writer, Thomson Reuters Projects News
A port project to serve Oman's Duqm economic zone would be completed on schedule before the end of 2020 despite the spread of Coronavirus, the zone's CEO was reported on Wednesday as saying.
Ismail Al-Baloushi said work on the port, which was launched in mid-2017, is progressing normally and that most jetties and other facilities have been completed.
"The Duqm port project has reached its final stages...about 87 percent of the main commercial berth has been completed and it will be handed over before the end of this year," Baloushi told Oman's Arabic language daily Alwatan.
He said a quay for the Duqm oil refinery has been completed and that work is under way to construct oil tanks and other facilities for the refinery.
A "government jetty" at the port has also been completed and handed over to the relevant authorities, he added.
In August 2017, Boskalis Westminster (Oman), an affiliate of the Dutch Royal dredging group, signed an agreement for the construction of a Bulk Berth in the port of Duqm.
The agreement, worth around $517 million, provides for carrying out detailed engineering designs, construction of marine infrastructure, dredging and reclamation works. Australia's Worley Parsons had been mandated to oversee the engineering and construction works of the project.
(Writing by Nadim Kawach; Editing by Anoop Menon)
Disclaimer: This article is provided for informational purposes only. The content does not provide tax, legal or investment advice or opinion regarding the suitability, value or profitability of any particular security, portfolio or investment strategy. Read our full disclaimer policy here.
© Thomson Reuters Projects News 2020